This latest example of state terrorism enacted on open/ international seas against ships with humanitarian aid and activists is deplorable.
Mindful of the potential fallout, the White House reacted cautiously, calling for the disclosure of the full facts of the raid, which the activists portrayed as an unprovoked assault by armed commandos on peaceful demonstrators.
The Israelis say their forces were caught off guard by protesters wielding sticks, slingshots and metal rods, and acted in self defense.
Government after government demanded an explanation from Israel, which said its soldiers were trying to defend themselves against armed activists. The White House said it was trying to learn more about “this tragedy.”
The statement expressed Canada’s regret at the loss of life that occurred, and stated: “We are currently looking for more information in order to shed light on what exactly happened.”
- Turkey withdrew its ambassador to Israel and called for an emergency session of the U.N. Security Council
- In Istanbul, a crowd tried to storm the Israeli Consulate.
- U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned the violence.
- Greece, Egypt, Sweden, Spain and Denmark summoned Israel’s ambassadors demanding explanations for the violence.
- Germany called for an immediate investigation.